When we let go of wanting something else to happen in this moment, we are taking a profound step toward being able to encounter what is here now. If we hope to go anywhere or develop ourselves in any way, we can only step from where we are standing. If we don’t really know where we are standing—a knowing that comes directly from the cultivation of mindfulness—we may only go in circles, for all our efforts and expectations. So, in meditation practice, the best way to get somewhere is to let go of trying to get anywhere at all.
(Source: ashramof1, via parkstepp)
September 9, 2013 at 11:47am
Jesus this is good. Best thing Elvis has done in ages.
September 3, 2013 at 8:54pm
August 27, 2013 at 10:48am
The big Other is the symbolic network which desires for us, and on whose behalf we desire.
Introducing Lacan (via jujutsu-with-zizek)
Oh. Hello there. I know you.
According to Wikipedia, Ray Kurzweil is an American author, inventor, futurist, and director of engineering at Google.
I’ve had a love affair with this track for years. Never get tired of it. Beautiful guitar, rolling bass that sounds amazing and the harmonized voices rolling through what sounds like a long long story.
Literary Birthday - 1 July
George Sand, born 1 July 1804, died 8 June 1876
10 George Sand Quotes
- Simplicity is the most difficult thing to secure in this world; it is the last limit of experience and the last effort of genius.
- Life resembles a novel more often than novels resemble life.
- Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness
- There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved.
- I regard as a mortal sin not only the lying of the senses in matters of love, but also the illusion which the senses seek to create where love is only partial. I say, I believe, that one must love with all of one’s being, or else live, come what may, a life of complete chastity.
- It’s not the first time I’ve noticed how much more power words have than ideas, particularly in France.
- The trade of authorship is a violent, and indestructible obsession.
- Work is not man’s punishment. It is his reward and his strength and his pleasure.
- The truth is too simple: one must always get there by a complicated route.
- Life is a long ache which rarely sleeps and can never be cured.
George Sand was the pseudonym of Armandine-Aurore-Lucille Dudevant, née Dupin, a French Romantic writer, known primarily for her rustic novels. She also wrote plays and a series of memoirs. She is famous for her romance with Frédéric Chopin.
by Amanda Patterson for Writers Write
“Nietzsche was the one who did the job for me. At a certain moment in his life, the idea came to him of what he called ‘the love of your fate.’ Whatever your fate is, whatever the hell happens, you say, ‘This is what I need.’ It may look like a wreck, but go at it as though it were an opportunity, a challenge. If you bring love to that moment—not discouragement—you will find the strength is there. Any disaster that you can survive is an improvement in your character, your stature, and your life. What a privilege! This is when the spontaneity of your own nature will have a chance to flow.
“Then, when looking back at your life, you will see that the moments which seemed to be great failures followed by wreckage were the incidents that shaped the life you have now. You’ll see that this is really true. Nothing can happen to you that is not positive. Even though it looks and feels at the moment like a negative crisis, it is not. The crisis throws you back, and when you are required to exhibit strength, it comes.”
— From “A Joseph Campbell Companion: Reflections on the Art of Living” (via theantidote)
The truth is like a lion. You don’t have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself.
— St Augustine (via gypsylovely)
(Source: resonantfrequencies, via parkstepp)
Ojai, California. 6th Public Talk 1946 As this is the last talk of this series perhaps it might be well to make a brief summary of what we have been considering during the past five Sundays.